Jacksonville Area Historical Parks & National Monuments
Northeast Florida is home to many parks, both National and State operated, with historical themes. You will find links to the areas’ most prominent parks listed below, along with a short description for each.
Fort Caroline National Monument
Created to memorialize the Sixteenth Century French effort to establish a permanent colony in Florida.
Located on Fort George Island, named for Zephaniah Kingsley, who operated the property from 1813-1839. The site includes the plantation house, a kitchen house, a barn, and the ruins of 25 of the original slave cabins.
Fort Clinch State Park
The site, on Amelia Island at the entrance to the St. Mary’s River and the Cumberland Sound, has been occupied by various military troops since 1736. A pentagonal brick fort with both inner and outer walls, Fort Clinch was a safe haven for blockade runners during the Civil War. Briefly occupied by Confederate forces, its recapture by Federal troops in early 1862 gave the Union control of the adjacent Georgia and Florida coasts.
Castillo de San Marcos National Monument
The Castillo de San Marcos, built 1672-1695, served primarily as an outpost of the Spanish Empire, guarding St. Augustine, the first permanent European settlement in the continental United States, and also protecting the sea route for treasure ships returning to Spain.
Fort Matanzas National Monument
This Spanish outpost fort was built in 1740-1742 to guard the Matanzas Inlet and to warn St. Augustine of British or other enemies approaching from the south.
Timucuan Ecological & Historic Preserve
The 46,000 acre Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve was established to protect one of the last unspoiled coastal wetlands on the Atlantic Coast, and to preserve historic and prehistoric sites within the area.